It’s about to tick over into 2014. Have you set a new year’s resolution to help you improve your piano playing?
1. Learn a piece from a genre you haven’t tried before
2. Enter a piano competition
3. Set a sightreading goal – how many easy pieces can you learn on your own?
4. Do a music theory exam
5. Learn how to play your favourite song on piano
6. Play a duet with a friend or sibling
7. Set a goal for the number of pieces you are going to learn this year and make a chart to track your progress
8. Increase your practice time by a small achievable amount – can you do 15 minutes twice a day instead of one 20 minute session? Can you practice one more day of the week?
9. Accompany someone playing a different instrument or singing
10.Be braver! Tell the voice in your head that says “it’s too hard” to shut up!
Do you have any other ideas? Comment and let us know what your goals are for the new year.